- About the NRAO/AUI Archives
Finding Aids to the Collections
- Finding Aid to the Records of The National Radio Astronomy Observatory, 1951-
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Donald C. Backer, 1943-2010
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Alan H. Barrett, 1953-1987
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Ronald N. Bracewell, 1936-2007
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Alan H. Bridle, 1979-1986
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Robert L. Brown, 1972-2007
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Bernard F. Burke, 1959-2004
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Marshall H. Cohen, 1957-2002
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Nannielou Hepburn Dieter Conklin
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Robert L. Dickman, 1987-2016
- Doc Ewen: The Horn, HI, and other events in U.S. Radio Astronomy
- Finding Aid to the Papers of John W. Findlay, 1956-1990
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Mark A. Gordon, 1985-2000
- Finding Aid to the Papers of David S. Heeschen, 1945-1998
- Finding Aid to the Papers of David E. Hogg, 1965-2006
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Karl G. Jansky, 1923-1989
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Kenneth I. Kellermann, 1965-2011
- Finding Aid to the Papers of John Daniel Kraus, 1895-2004
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Grote Reber, 1848-2002
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Morton S. Roberts, 1945-2010
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Arthur M. Shalloway, 1962-1983
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Woodruff T. Sullivan, 1946-2009
- Finding Aid to the Papers of George W. Swenson, Jr., 1950-2007
- Finding Aid to the Papers of A. Richard Thompson, 1963-2010
- Finding Aid to the Papers of James S. Ulvestad, 1984-1999
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Paul A. Vanden Bout, 1958-2016
- Interview with Campbell M. Wade
- Finding Aid to the Papers of Gart Westerhout, 1952-1984
- Early Radio Astronomy Courses
- Search for Items
- Contact Us
Finding Aid to the Papers of Robert L. Dickman, 1987-2016
Short description of collection: The papers in this collection are from Robert L. Dickman's tenure as NRAO's Assistant Director for New Mexico Operations (2007-2011), Head of the New Initiatives Office (2011-2014), and Director of NRAO's Central Development Laboratory (2014-2016).
Biography: Robert L. Dickman received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Columbia University, earning his PhD in physics in 1976. Following a post-doctoral appointment at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and two years at The Aerospace Corporation, he spent 11 years at University of Massachusetts/Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory, where he was a Research Associate Professor and Manager of FCRAO. From 1991 through 2007, he held key positions in the National Science Foundation's Astronomy Division, including Coordinator of the Radio Astronomy Facilities Unit and ALMA Staff Associate. He served on the ALMA Board for five years and was its Chair for 2005-2006. In 2009-2010 he chaired the International and Public-Private Partnership Study Group for the Astro-2010 Decadal Survey.
Dickman joined NRAO as Assistant Director for New Mexico Operations in September 2007, and in March 2011 was appointed Head of the [NRAO] New Initiatives Office. From February 2014-September 2016 he was Director of NRAO's Central Development Laboratory, with a concurrent appointment as NRAO Scientist. In March 2019 he retired as an NRAO Emeritus Scientist.
Dickman is a member of the American Astronomical Society, the American Physical Society, and the International Astronomical Union.
[Biographical note written by Ellen Bouton, based on information from Dickman's curriculum vitae.]
Publication rights: Copyright has been assigned to The National Radio Astronomy Observatory. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Archivist.
Preferred citation: National Radio Astronomy Observatory/Associated Universities, Inc. Archives, Papers of Robert L. Dickman, <series/unit/subunit/box #>. After the initial citation, abbreviations may be used: NRAO/AUI Archives, Dickman papers, <series/unit/subunit/box #>.
Processing notes: Arrangement, description, indexing, foldering and boxing of this material was begun in January 2020 and was completed in November 2020. During the processing, fasteners were removed and duplicates were discarded.
Note: Dickman's curriculum vitae for 2010 and 2019 are filed at the beginning of the New Mexico Operations Series.
New Mexico Operations Series: Dickman served as Assistant Director for New Mexico Operations from September 2007 through March 2011, overseeing the operation of NRAO's New Mexico-based instruments and facilities, including the VLA, VLBA, and EVLA. Materials are dated 2001-2011 and include correspondence, memos, reports, notes, meeting materials and notes, as well as materials related to Dickman's work as chair of the International and Public-Private Partnership Study Group for the Astro-2010 Decadal Survey. Click here for a folder listing. Related materials: See the Records of NRAO for materials on the VLA, EVLA, and VLBA.
New Initiatives Office (NIO) Series: NRAO's New Initiatives Office (NIO) pursues, develops, and manages strategic partnerships and collaborations with national and international academic, government, and non-profit organizations that align with NRAO strategy and that have the potential to lead to additional funding and/or benefit NRAO's mission. Dickman was the Assistant Director for NIO from March 2011 through February 2014. His NIO files are dated 1987-2015 and include correspondence, reports, memoranda of agreement/understanding, meeting agendas and minutes, and other materials related to a wide variety of initiatives and projects. Click here for a folder listing. Two larger groups of materials have been described as separate units below. Inclusive series size: 1.5 linear feet.
Central Development Laboratory (CDL) Series: Dickman served as the Assistant Director for NRAO's Central Development Laboratory from 2014-2016. This series includes notes, correspondence, memos, budget materials, and reports dated 2011-2016. Size: 0.25 linear feet. Click here for a listing of folders.