Directions to NRAO Headquarters at 520 Edgemont Road
Thursday, 16-Feb-2006 03:50:52 EST
- From the Washington, DC area:
- If coming from Dulles International Airport (IAD), proceed
to the exit towards Washington, and be prepared to take
the exit for US Route 28 south and Centerville.
Then proceed about 6 miles until you see the signs for
Interstate 66; take I-66 west towards Front
- If coming from the Beltway, proceed to I-66 West.
NOTE: there are two exits for Rt. 29, you want the
second one for Gainesville.
- On I-66, proceed for about 12 miles to 29 South at exit 43A
(Gainsville/Warrenton). This can be a confusing exit as
it is labeled 43A & 43B, but there is a single exit that
splits to be 43A & 43B with the second one being 43A).
Rt. 29 south.
- Continue with the next section ("From the North via US
- From the North via US Route 29:
- Proceed on Rt. 29 past Warrenton and Culpeper (about 2
hours drive). Warning! This section of road is
often rigorously patrolled by police, and they will give
speeders a ticket.
- The density of shopping centers and traffic lights (and
the number of lanes) increases as you get close to
Charlottesville. You will pass two major intersections
(Rio Road [pronounced rye-oh; don't ask why!] and
Hydraulic Road). Keep going straight on Rt. 29.
- After passing a K-Mart on the left and
an Exxon gasoline station on the right (near Hydraulic
Rd), you will see an overpass with exits for US 250 West,
Rt. 29 South and US 250 East. Do NOT take these
exits; instead, continue straight ahead on what is now
Business Rt. 29.
- You will pass another intersection
(Barracks Rd.), and a shopping center on the right (with a
McDonalds, Burger King, Bed Bath and Beyond, Harris
Teeter, and Taco Bell). You will see university housing
on the left, and a large stadium-like building on the
right (under construction as of February 2006). Rt. 29 is
now called "Emmet Street".
- After you pass under a stone railroad bridge, you come to
a traffic light, where there is a motel (the Cavalier
Inn) on your right, and a gas station on your
left. Turn right here onto Ivy Road (and note
that the street is called University Avenue to the
- Proceed past a parking garage (on your right) and turn
left at the second traffic light; this is
just past a 7-11 also on the right, and there are banks on
both corners. You are now on Alderman Road.
- Drive to the next traffic light (past a modern church and
the "physical plant services", both on the right).
- Turn right onto McCormick Road. The UVa
Astronomy department is now directly on your right.
- At the first stop sign, turn right again onto Edgemont Rd;
there will be dormitory buildings on your left, and the
Slaughter recreation center in front of you.
- Proceed past a small recycling center on the right, around
a couple of bends in the road, and turn right into the
first NRAO parking lot; it's clearly marked with a
sign. Visitor parking is on the left; if this is full,
veer right instead to the staff parking area.
- From the Northwest via I-81:
- Proceed south towards Staunton and Roanoke.
- Take the exit I-64 EAST towards
- After passing over the Afton Mountain pass (note:
this section of highway is notorious for thick fog;
slow down if such conditions arise!),
proceed to exit 118; this is a cloverleaf exit, so take
the second off-ramp towards Charlottesville.
- Immediately after getting past this interchange, get in
the right land for the Fontaine Avenue (Business
Rt. 29) exit.
- The off-ramp splits into three lanes; stay in the middle
one. It turns onto Fontaine avenue and you have your own
lane (no merge needed).
- As soon as it's safe, change into the left lane
(before the traffic signal; the others must turn
- Proceed straight through the first traffic signal and turn
left at the second traffic light.
- Go through the stop sign, past Scott Stadium on the right,
and take a left turn at the first
- You are now on McCormick Road; proceed with the last three
instructions from the "From the North via US Route
29" list above.
- From the East (Richmond):
- Proceed west on I-64 to exit 118B; this is a cloverleaf
intersection and you want the first exit, onto
Rt. 29 North towards Charlottesville.
- Stay in the rightmost lane (do not merge!) as this exits
immediately onto Fontaine Avenue (Business Rt. 29).
- Proceed with the fifth instruction above "From the
Northwest via I-81".
- From Green Bank, WV:
- Take route 92/28 south about 6 miles, then follow 92 as it
splits off to the left.
- At Frost, WV, turn left, taking route 84 east to US
- At US 220, turn left heading north to Monterey, VA.
- At Monterey, turn right taking US 250 east.
- Approaching Staunton, turn left on VA 275 (Woodrow Wilson
- Take the exit onto I-81 south
- Take the Charlottesville / I-64 east exit
- Use the "From the Northwest via I-81"
instructions starting at the third bullet.
- From Charlottesville/Albemarle Airport (CHO): Exit the
Charlottesville airport to Rt. 29, and turn right onto Rt. 29 South.
Follow the directions "From the North via US Route 29"
as described above.
- From Richmond International Airport (RIC): This is about a
1.3 hour drive. Exit the airport and follow signs to I-64 West.
You soon pass through Richmond and I-95 merges with I-64. About
5 miles after that occurs, take the exit for I-64 West. Then
continue with instructions above "From the East